The Telegraph
Tuesday , May 10 , 2011
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Girl slashed on way back from office

Siliguri, May 9: A 25-year-old girl was slashed on the face, arm and shoulder with a sharp-cutting instrument like a razor this evening while she was returning to her paying guest accommodation after her day at office.

Police said preliminary investigations had revealed that the perpetrator of the crime was a person with whom she had an affair

Sources said Sohini Choudhury was an employee of a private micro-finance company that had its office on Station Feeder Road.

Today, around 7.30pm, while Sohini was returning to her PG accommodation in Subhaspally, a youth attacked her on AJC Bose Road and slashed her face, arm and shoulder with a sharp-cutting instrument, probably a razor or a blade. The distance between the office and AJC Bose Road is around 2km. Sohini may have got off an autorickshaw 300 metres away at Khelaghor More.

Reacting to the attack, Sohini ran a few metres and entered the accommodation while raising the alarm, local people said.

Seeing her bleeding, the girl with whom she shares the accommodation called up the Red Cross Society. Volunteers from the Society took her to Siliguri district hospital.

The doctors said there were multiple cuts on her body. They have stitched the wounds. “She has a major cut on her left forearm and another cut in the right cheek. There are also injury marks on her chin and right shoulder,” said Vivek Sarkar, a surgeon attached to the hospital. “We had stitched up the wound and given necessary medication. She is conscious and in a stable condition.”

Police visited the hospital around 9.15pm and spoke to Sohini, who is from Alipurduar. “On the basis of a complaint, we have started an investigation and are trying to trace the youth who carried out the attack,” said Darjeeling police chief D.P. Singh. “We have come to know that the youth was having an affair with the girl and suspect that the incident is a fallout of some differences between the two,” the police superintendent said. The police are getting in touch with the girl’s family.

Email This Page