The Telegraph e-Paper
The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Satyam returns in coffin

Patna, Dec. 15: Twelve days after his death, Satyam’s body finally arrived in Patna today from Paris in a coffin.

Satyam’s classmates from DAV, Sitamarhi, came down to the airport to bid their friend the final farewell.

His parents, Sobha Devi and Dinkar Kumar, could not come down to Patna from Sitamarhi. Their relatives here said they were not in a condition to come to the capital.

A relative told The Telegraph over the telephone from Sitamarhi that the family was contemplating requesting for a second post-mortem before cremation.

Rajneesh, Satyam’s uncle, said: “The Paris police contacted us to say though it appeared to be a case of accident, they were investigating the case. We are not buying this. This cannot be an accident. His parents cannot say anything right now but they are giving thoughts of requesting the police for a second post-mortem. A missing case has been lodged with Balha police station. We would request them to help us in getting a second post-mortem done, if needed.”

Satyam’s body was despatched from Paris on Tuesday by an Air India flight to Delhi. From there, Satyam’s coffin was loaded on IC-415 that touched down at Patna around 4.30pm.

A.K. Singh, Satyam’s uncle based in Ghaziabad, came with the body from Delhi. “I got a confirmation from the Indian embassy in France last night saying that Satyam’s body had been put on a flight to Delhi. I do not know how his parents are going to react on seeing the body. I just cannot say anything now. It is such a sad moment for us.”

The body left for Balha village, Satyam’s native place, in an ambulance. The body is expected to reach his house late in the night.

Satyam’s classmates from school had tears in their eyes as the coffin was put in the ambulance.

Kiran, one of his classmates, said: “I still cannot believe that this has happened. We had known him for so many years. He was always a wonderful student and a good friend. He used to smile all the time. How could this happen? We are sure there is something more to the incident. The investigation should be more extensive. The truth needs to come out.”

His another classmate, Dipika, said she was worried about his mother’s reaction.

“We have no clue about how she will take this. The family has been waiting for the body to arrive for a week now. This is a shocking incident and very unfortunate for the family,” said Dipika.

Satyam, an IIT-Mumbai passout and a student of fluid mechanics at Ecole Polytechnique University in Paris, had mysteriously gone missing on December 3 after partying beside an artificial lake with two friends.

His body was recovered from the same lake on December 8.

The wait for Satyam’s body had been proving endless for his family.

The family members failed to get any information on when they would receive his body, even four days after Satyam’s body was found.

On December 10, the family members faxed a letter to the Indian embassy in France requesting for the medical certificates but they were told all offices were closed for the weekend.

Email This Page