● Bad news for all you Deccan Charger fans out there. The Indian Premier League (IPL) has decided not to hold matches in Hyderabad this year. In retaliation, the Andhra Pradesh government has threatened that the Deccan Chargers won’t participate in IPL Season 3. The IPL Season 2 champs were scheduled to play the first match of the season on home ground. The IPL’s governing council, however, decided to shift that match against Kolkata Knight Riders to Mumbai, fearing disruption over the Telangana issue.
● The football-playing nations of the world just found their places in the World Cup qualifiers. The draw for Euro 2012 was made in Warsaw, Poland. Group C appears to be the toughest, with Italy, Serbia and Slovenia. Group A is as strong, with Germany, Turkey and Austria. Portugal will once again fight it out with Denmark in Group H. Spain seems to have got it relatively easy, although the Czech Republic and Scotland may prove to be strong competitors. England and Wales are in Group G. Hosts Poland and Ukraine qualified automatically for the tournament.
India on top
● lIndia ended the 11th South Asian Games on a great note with 90 gold, 55 silver and 30 bronze medals. The shooters bagged 19 gold, nine silver and five bronze medals; the swimmers set 10 new meet records. India dominated the badminton and table tennis scoreboards, winning seven gold and five silvers in each. Paddler Madhurika Patkar finished with a total of four golds. The boxing trio of Amandeep Singh, Suranjoy Singh and Chhote Lal emerged champions in their respective categories. All the archers also returned with medals after dominating the field. In athletics too, despite tough competition from Sri Lanka and Pakistan, India managed to finish on top. Way to go, boys and girls!
Shiva and snow
● Shiva Keshavan is all set to represent India for the fourth time in the Winter Olympics. Having just recovered from a back injury, he aims to top his 25th place finish in the 2006 Olympics. There is more good news. For the first time ever, Keshavan has sponsors — Swiss International Airlines and the Limca Book of Records.
You can’t get through this week without…
● …Watching the India vs South Africa one-day international (ODI) match. Scheduled on February 21, the first match of the three-match series will start at 2.30pm in Jaipur. The other two ODIs take place on February 24 and 27. After that humiliating performance in the Test series, this is the chance for Dhoni’s men to prove their mettle. Look out for fireworks!