The Telegraph
Sunday , November 29 , 2009
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Wife rescues Tiger Woods
-Investigators yet to ascertain the cause of car crash

Los Angeles: Investigators are yet to determine the cause of Tiger Woods’ crash in which his car hit a fire hydrant and a tree outside his Florida mansion in the early hours of Friday.

Woods was left unconscious for up to six minutes following the smash, and was treated in hospital for cuts to his face. Police said alcohol was not involved, but the accident remains under investigation, and traffic charges could be filed.

Woods’ agent said he was “fine”, following the accident which happened at 2.25am outside the £1.5 million home he shares with his wife Elin Nordegren, 29. A celebrity website reported the couple had a fight before the crash.

However, a Florida highway patrol spokesman, Kim Montes, dismissed that report. She said: “Right now, we believe this is a traffic crash. We don’t believe it is a domestic issue. I don’t know where that is coming from. That has not been told to us.”

Local police chief Daniel Saylor also said officers at the scene had not been told about any argument.

He said Woods’ wife rescued the golfer from the wreckage of the late night crash by smashing the rear window of the car with a golf club and helping him out. The world No.1 golfer was later treated and released from hospital in good condition, his spokesman said.

Saylor said officers found the 33-year-old star lying in the street, with his wife tending to him. “She was frantic, upset,” Saylor said. “It was her husband lying on the ground.”

She told officers she was in the house when she heard the sound of the accident, and “came out and broke the back window with a golf club.”

Woods had cuts on his upper and lower lips, and he had blood in his mouth, Saylor said, but was conscious enough to speak. “He was mumbling, but didn’t say anything coherent.” Saylor said

Woods was in and out of consciousness when the officers arrived. He said the officers held Woods to the ground. When he woke up, he tried to get up but lost consciousness. Officers treated Woods for 10 minutes till an ambulance arrived.

Woods was alone in his 2009 Cadillac. It is not known whether he was wearing a seat belt. Montes said investigators still have not had a chance to speak to the golfer.

“We’ll ask him everything. We just haven’t had a chance to do so because he was being medically treated,” she said. Montes said charges could be filed if there was a clear traffic violation.

Investigators are trying to make out how Woods had managed to hit the fire hydrant and tree which were on either sides of the road. Airbags in the car did not deploy, which suggests that it was travelling at less than 33 mph.

A joint statement issued by Woods’ office and the hospital said: “Tiger Woods was in a minor car accident outside his home last night. He was admitted, treated and released today in good condition.”

Woods lives in a suburb of Orlando with his wife and their daughter, Sam Alexis, two, and son Charlie Axel, nine months. His wife is a former model. The couple met at the 2001 Open.

They married in October 2004 at the Sandy Lane resort in Barbados, in a ceremony that reportedly cost more than £1 million.

Their home is set on an Arnold Palmer-designed golf course and a chain of small lakes. The neighbourhood, which is fortified with high brick walls and has its own security force, is home to CEOs and other sports stars including basketball player Shaquille ’Neal.

Woods has won 93 tournaments, including 14 majors, and was the world’s highest-paid professional athlete last year, earning an estimated £66 million.

Email This Page