The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Murder protest stalls traffic

Ranchi, Aug. 3: Traffic came to a standstill for four hours near Piska More on Ratu Road early this morning as a mob descended on the streets to protest against the murder of an employee of Tata Motors Finance, Guddu Shaw.

Shouting slogans against the district administration, the agitators staged a blockade and burnt rubber tyres. Some set a pile of straw kept outside a house on fire. The ruckus continued from 6am to 10am.

More than 50 school buses were caught in the commotion, giving the students a harrowing time.

Many more could not avail of the bus services as the managements of the schools asked the drivers to avoid Piska More. Trucks were also stranded.

The blockade was lifted only after city police superintendent A. Vijayalaxmi reached the spot and pacified the mob. She assured the protesters that she would take all necessary steps to arrest the murders of Shaw, also a Sukhdeonagar circle chief of the youth wing of the BJP.

Sources said that five persons had been taken into custody by the Sukhdeonagar police for interrogation. Officer-in-charge of the Sukhdeonagar police station Faguni Paswan said that they were interrogating the family members of the deceased and some of the suspects to get clues.

“Primary investigation suggested that Shaw had criminal antecedents and might have been killed due to some rivalry,” he said.

Meanwhile, Shaw’s last rites were performed at Harmu after a post-mortem at RIMS. Shaw was shot by two motorcycle-borne men near the gate of Birsa Institute of Technology at Amrood Bagan under Sukhdeonagar police station area last evening.

A resident of Ganga Nagar, Shaw had received bullet injuries on his head and stomach. He was rushed to RIMS, where doctors declared him brought dead.

Shaw used to work for the debt recovery unit of Tata Motors Finance. His job was to seize vehicles from people who failed to repay the loans taken from the company.

Email This Page