The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Child-mom killer in net

Satya Saha, who allegedly killed his sister-in-law and her one-year-old son to grab their property, was arrested on Tuesday night after being on the run since December 14, 2008.

Police said Satya had admitted to killing Bula Saha and Indrajit.

The 35-year-old, who had been hiding in Orissa or Jharkhand, returned to the city on Tuesday for the first time in two months and was arrested the moment he got off a bus at Phoolbagan More.

“We had laid a trap following a tip-off about his arrival,” said Jawed Shamim, the deputy commissioner (detective department). “He had planned to spend the night at home and leave the next morning,” said an officer.

Indrajit’s body was found stacked in a nylon bag on Canal West Road on December 14, the first birthday of the child. Mother Bulu, who had been missing, was found dead in a ditch off Durgapur Expressway in Dankuni, Hooghly, the next day. Both had been strangulated.

A preliminary probe revealed that Satya, who worked for a soft-drink company in Dankuni, had killed the two to grab their share of the family’s ancestral house at Beleghata. His wife Nandita was arrested as she was at home during the killing and is now in judicial custody.

“Satya’s elder brother Bidyut, a vegetable seller, was a soft-spoken person. Satya had threatened him several times to get him to vacate the Beleghata house with his family but on every occasion Bula had put up stiff resistance. In desperation he thought that if he could bump off Bula, the entire single-storeyed building would be his,” said an investigating officer.

“The child was in Bula’s arms when I attacked her in a frenzy. In the scuffle, Indrajit fell on the floor and I strangled Bula. Seeing her frothing at the mouth, I realised that she was dead,” an officer quoted Satya as having said. Satya then allegedly strangled Indrajit with a gamchha.

“After dumping the child’s body, he carried Bula’s in the boot of his car to Dankuni, where it was disposed of in a ditch,” the officer added.

One of his friends in Bally helped him flee to Rourkela, where Satya took the job of a truck driver’s help for a monthly salary of Rs 1,500.

“We came to know that the truck was plying on the Rourkela-Nawada (Jharkhand) route. Our men visited Rourkela and Nawada, but the truck could not be traced as we did not know its registration number,” said an officer.

Email This Page