The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Ladies first
I am a woman taxpayer having income from pension, interest on deposits and commission. Which income tax return form should I use for filing my income return in 2008-09?
Pritilata Debi, Calcutta
You can use ITR 2 for filing income tax return since part of your income is from commissions. ITR 1 is meant for individual taxpayers or Hindu Undivided Family having income only from salaries, interests and pension.
Ancestral property
I had to give power of attorney to my younger brother for succession certificate because I understand that the law permits only one successor to a person who had died intestate. Now that my brother has received the succession certificate and declared heir to my late father’s assets and cash, he is refusing to part with any portion of that. What should I do?
J. Shome, Salt Lake
When a Hindu male, who has an interest in a Mitakshara coparcenary property, dies, his interest in the property shall be passed on to the other members of the coparcenary. So, you can lay your claims on any such ancestral property. The general rules of succession is that the property of a male Hindu dying intestate shall devolve firstly, upon the heirs, being the relatives; if there is no heir, then upon their heirs, being relatives specified in Class II of the Schedule of the Hindu Succession Act, 1956; thirdly, if there is no heir of any of the two classes, then upon the agnates (relatives on the male side) of the deceased; and lastly, if there is no agnate, then upon the cognates (related by blood) of the deceased.
Senior query
I am 65-years-old. I have no income except interest from post office deposits. My total annual income is also not taxable. Shall I have to file income return every year?
Sunil Kumar Sarcar, Calcutta
If your total annual income is less than Rs 2,25,000, you don’t have to file income tax return. Filing income tax return for individuals who are 65 years or more and having an annual income of less than Rs 2,25,000 is voluntary and not compulsory.
If you have any queries about investing or taxes or a high-cost purchase you are planning, mail to:, or write to: Business Telegraph, 6 Prafulla Sarkar Street, Calcutta 700 001.
Email This Page