The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
CID’s latest discovery: near-decapitation

Calcutta, Oct. 11: The CID has suddenly discovered that Rizwanur Rahman was nearly decapitated even though it never saw the body.

The claim — sprung three weeks after the young man’s death — suggests that the investigative body, ready to hand in its report “in a day or two”, had made up its mind that it was a suicide.

Such a conclusion, if presented without compelling proof, could further dent the government’s credibility before a public that is holding a candlelight vigil demanding justice, and the dead man’s family who want a CBI probe.

“The body was not decapitated but 80 per cent of the neck was severed. It clearly appears he was knocked down and killed by a train,” a CID officer said.

He did not name the source of the information. Sources privy to the post-mortem report — which rather unusually has not been made public — have so far not mentioned any such injury.

One way to clear the matter up could be through an exhumation, but home secretary Prasad Ranjan Ray said the body would be exhumed only if there is a court order. “We will not do it otherwise.”

CID officers cited circumstantial evidence in favour of suicide: it could not be an accident because Rizwanur would have heard and seen the train; he would not have come to the spot and walked along the tracks had he not planned suicide.

“It’s clear he was neither dragged to the spot nor was his body dumped there. There were too many people around at 10.30am and they surely would have noticed,” an officer said.

A friend of Rizwanur’s brother Rukbanur alleged foul play. “On the day of the death, when I saw the body at the morgue, the back of his head was badly smashed. The head was not severed,” Mumtaz Siddiqui said. “The next day the body bore injury marks that could not have been caused by the post-mortem. The body had been tampered with.”

Mudar Patherya, leading the candlelight vigil outside St Xavier’s College, was sceptical about the CID probe. “It’s a cosmetic probe to prove their boss right. The police commissioner had said it was suicide even before the probe began,” he said.

“Which Calcuttan will have faith in the police after this'” demanded Durjoy Guha, who spends eight hours at the vigil every day.

Rukbanur said the family had lost all faith in the government — the reason his mother refused to meet the chief minister yesterday. “If the CID says it was a suicide, our confidence will be eroded further,” he said.

Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee did not to react when asked about Kishwar Jahan’s refusal to meet him and avoided saying if he would visit her home.

At a meeting with Muslim leaders, he refused to commit himself on the removal of three senior officers. “Trust me. Give me three to four months,” he said.

He dismissed the demands for a CBI probe, saying: “There was a CBI inquiry into the Nobel theft case and you have seen the results.”

Email This Page