The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Rogue buses claim 3 in a day

Calcutta, Sept. 29: A week after Park Circus flared up over Rizwanur Rahman’s death, violence returned to the area this evening when a government bus crushed a cyclist.

Rogue buses killed two others elsewhere in the city earlier in the day.

Krishna Das Dey was knocked down at the Gobinda Khatik Road-Park Circus connector intersection around 7.15pm.

Fearing an attack from residents, the driver of the Jibantala-bound bus from Rajabazar drove straight to the Paroma police outpost and surrendered.

A mob poured its anger on a Calcutta state transport bus and another from the Calcutta Tramways Company minutes later. It smashed the windscreens and tried to torch the buses and block the road.

Police, who had to lob tear gas shells and wield the baton last week, were prompt today. Rapid Action Force personnel were rushed in with flying squad personnel and officers from Tiljala, Topsia and Tangra police stations.

Traffic on the busy EM Bypass connector was disrupted for nearly an hour, though.

In the morning, Bikramjit Datta, 61, a retired Metro station master, was run over by a minibus near Indrapuri studio in Tollygunge.

The bus climbed on the pavement and hit the wall behind it around 6.45. With the roads empty in the morning, the bus was speeding.

Datta, who worked in a Budge Budge firm after retirement, was about to cross NSC Bose Road on his way to office.

The driver of a bakery van that was also hit had to be hospitalised. Three passengers of the bus were injured.

Traffic sergeant Rajkumar Mukherjee, who witnessed the accident while going to work, took the injured to MR Bangur Hospital, where Datta was declared dead. Mukherjee called Datta’s family from the phone he found in his pocket.

The driver and conductor of the bus fled.

In the afternoon, Akher Ali, 30, the conductor of a private bus on route 211, was crushed under it when it overturned at Jora Mandir near Baguiati on VIP Road while racing another.

Residents and the police brought out 45 passengers — many of them women and children — trapped inside. They cut open the iron grille of the windows.

The police said the conductor died trying to prevent a woman from falling over.

About 20 passengers escaped with minor injuries and only needed first aid.

Email This Page