The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Cops’ callousness hastens abducted lawyer’s murder

Jamshedpur, Sept. 15: Poor planning and hastiness of police cost an abducted lawyer his life today.

Advocate Sadhan Kumar Chatterjee went missing from his residence at Adarshnagar in Sonari on July 31. He was traced to West Layout in the same locality this morning, but was stabbed to death by his alleged abductor in the afternoon when police tried to rescue him.

Tension prevailed at 531 J-Road in Sonari West Layout since 12 noon, as Arvind Guha, the alleged abductor, admitted before a team of Jamshedpur Bar Association that he had held Chatterjee captive in his house for the past one-and-a-half-month. A police team led by deputy superintendent of police S.K. Kujur also rushed to Guha’s house to rescue Chatterjee.

But Guha, along with his wife Smita, declared that they would not release the advocate till they were delivered justice pertaining to a property dispute with his elder brother, Chinmaya. They even warned of killing Chatterjee if anybody tried to rescue him forcefully.

In the meantime, a smiling Chatterjee appeared on the balcony of the double-storeyed house of Guha and assured the crowd outside that he was safe.

After several attempts by the lawyers, Guha’s wife agreed to speak to one of the members of the Bar. The situation seemed to be under control as Smita arranged table and chairs for Chowdhary on the ground floor veranda.

But everything went topsy-turvy as officer in-charge of Sonari police station sub-inspector Manoj Thakur and a few other policemen climbed to the first floor of Guha’s residence using his neighbour’s staircase.

As they tried to kick open the door, screams were heard from inside. Realising his house was being stormed, Guha threw Chatterjee into a bed and stabbed him in stomach and chest. By the time the police managed to break open the door, Chatterjee was grievously injured.

Assistant sub-inspector S.K. Singh, along with fire brigade personnel, managed to overpower Guha and took him into custody along with his wife. The police shifted Guha’s teenaged son, Arindam, to Sonari police station, apprehending a mob attack.

Chatterjee was rushed to Tata Main Hospital (TMH). He died within 15 minutes of being admitted to TMH.

East Singhbhum superintendent of police Navin Kumar Singh said he has initiated a probe into the incident.

Email This Page