The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Lalu kin’s ire on train, again

Patna, July 1: Subhas Yadav can call the shots if it concerns the Rajdhani Express.

The showpiece train once again earned the wrath of the RJD parliamentarian on her way to Delhi at Patna station last night.

Yadav, the brother-in-law of railway minister Lalu Prasad, lost his cool at the station to find his ticket “confirmed” in an AC-II coach, not an AC-I, in the 2309 Patna-New Delhi Rajdhani Express.

He had his wife Renu Devi with him.

“I had intimated the railway authorities in advance about my schedule to travel to New Delhi by Rajdhani Express in AC-1. How has then the ticket been confirmed in AC-II' It amounts to a disrespect to an MP,” Subhas was heard shouting at the top of his voice at the tickets examiners and other officials at the railway station.

The officials were trying in vain to control the Rajya Sabha MP’s ire.

While the MP was yelling, the train rolled out at its scheduled time at 9.50pm. But Yadav’s supporters cut the train’s vacuum detaining it. While fellow passengers protested, the officials rushed to two AC-I passengers pleading to vacate the berths for the night. The train finally left for Delhi at 10.15pm only after the couple had boarded the train.

East Central Railway chief public relation officer A.K. Chandra, however, did not find anything unusual with the episode.

“There was no trouble at the station regarding the MP. Two AC-I passengers willingly vacated the space for the MP and his wife out of respect when the former learnt about the MP’s inconvenience,” he added.

The officials at Patna, including the station manager and deputy general manager (commercial), however, remained tight-lipped over last night’s episode too but confirmed that the train left the station 25 minutes behind schedule.

Yadav too denied any problem. In fact, when reporters tried to approach Yadav at Mughalsarai station, they were reportedly forced to get down and his aides bolted the doors from inside.

Yadav was recently in the news for allegedly ordering the Patna station authorities to stop the Rajdhani Express on platform number one for his comfort instead of on the assigned platform number four.

Lalu Prasad, who was in Bhagalpur to attend an official function, refused to comment and allegedly pushed the reporters who sought to know what action the railways contemplated against his brother-in-law.

Email This Page