The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Cricket-lover dies on field
- Collision with team-mate kills teenager

Md Sohrab Hussain was as passionate about cricket as any other 17-year-old, but his gruelling schedule as an apprentice at a Topsia sofa-manufacturing unit hardly gave him a chance to play the game.

On Wednesday morning, after a night shift at the factory, the Tiljala resident squeezed out some time for cricket. He headed for Park Circus Maidan, instead of home, little knowing that the game he loved so much would cause his death.

Sohrab, who was keeping wickets, died after colliding with team-mate Sagar Hussain, while trying to take a catch.

“Sagar was fielding in the slips. His elbow hit Sohrab’s chest. Sohrab left the field to take rest and we resumed the game. But after a while, Sohrab started throwing up. We rushed him to Chittaranjan Hospital. Around 9.45 am, the doctor told us that he had died,” said Khurshid Alam, who was on the field with Sohrab.

“We were good friends. I cannot believe what has happened to him,” said Sagar, choking on his tears.

Sohrab, the only child of his parents, quit his studies a few years ago. “Since then, he had been working as an apprentice at the sofa-manufacturing unit,” said his father Md Sarfaraz Hussain, who works in a small footwear factory.

Sohrab would leave his Abinash Chaudhury Lane home for work in the morning. On days when his shift dragged late into the night, he would stay back in the factory. “This morning, instead of returning home, he went to Park Circus Maidan to play cricket. I was at home when some of his friends turned up with the news of his death,” said Sarfaraz.

“If god wanted to punish us, he could have maimed my son. Why did he snatch him from us'” wailed the teenager’s mother Meher-un-Nisa.

“Sohrab was in love with the game. Despite his busy schedule at the factory, he would join us on the field whenever he would find time,” recalled one of his friends.

Despite the tragedy, Sohrab’s parents have not lodged any complaint against Sagar. “We are not starting any case against Sagar, as the victim’s family has not filed any complaint against him,” said Anil Kumar Jana, officer-in-charge of Beniapukur police station.

Email This Page