The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Nasa gunman kills hostage, self

Houston, April 21 (AP): A Nasa contract worker took a handgun inside an office building at the Johnson Space Center and fatally shot a hostage before killing himself, police said. A second hostage escaped with minor injuries.

The gunman was able to take a revolver past Nasa security yesterday and barricade himself in Building 44, which houses communications and tracking systems for the space shuttle, authorities said.

Nasa and police identified him as 60-year-old William Phillips. He had apparently had a dispute with the slain hostage, police said.

Nasa identified the slain hostage as David Beverly, a civil servant who worked at the agency. Beverly, who was shot in the chest, was probably killed “in the early minutes of the whole ordeal”, police said.

A second hostage, identified by Nasa as Fran Crenshaw, escaped after being bound to a chair with duct tape, police Captain Dwayne Ready said.

“Right now we’re trying to understand why this happened, how this happened,” Mike Coats, director of the Johnson Space Center, said at a news conference. He said they had reviewed their procedures earlier this week because of the Virginia Tech shootings.

“But of course we never believed this could happen here to our family and our situation.” Nasa spokesman Doug Peterson said the agency would review its security.

To enter the space centre, workers flash an ID badge as they drive past a security guard. The badge allows workers access to designated buildings.

The gunman, an employee of Jacobs Engineering of Pasadena, California, shot himself once in the head more than three hours after the standoff began, police said.

Reports indicated two shots were fired about 1840 GMT and another shot was heard about 2200 GMT. John Prosser, executive vice-president of Jacobs Engineering, confirmed that the gunman was a company employee but declined to release any information about him.

Police said homicide investigators searched the gunman’s house where he lived alone and found no guns or any evidence at all about the shooting. Police chief Harold Hurtt said there was apparently a dispute between Phillips and Beverly, but he did not elaborate.

“I do not know what occurred between the two gentlemen today,” Hurtt said. He said Crenshaw, who worked in the same general area, was presumably taken hostage after Beverly was shot.

“She was very courageous, a calming influence in this whole issue and apparently was a very positive relationship between her and the suspect because he at no time that we know of threatened to do injury to her,” Hurtt said.

Email This Page