The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Death on wedding anniversary
- Family, police clueless about suicide by youth in bathroom

20B Motilal Basak Lane was to host a party to celebrate the second marriage anniversary of Sanjit Das, 32, and his wife Sathi, 28.

But, instead of bouquets and gifts, friends and kin of the Das family turned up at the three-storeyed building, in the Phoolbagan area, with wreaths to mourn the death of Sanjit, who was found hanging from his bathroom shower on Sunday morning.

Sathi woke up around 7 in the morning to get ready for a planned visit to the Dakshineswar temple. The toilet was bolted from within, so she thought Sanjit was inside.

Sathi knocked on the door when she found Sanjit taking longer than usual. But there was no response. After another five minutes, she went to the verandah to peep though the ventilator.

She saw her husband hanging from the shower, a towel around his neck.

Sathi’s screams alerted the family, and the bathroom door was broken open. Sanjit was rushed to a nearby clinic, where he was declared dead.

“We have not recovered any suicide note… But it looks like a case of suicide,” said Pradip Chatterjee, deputy commissioner of police (headquarters).

But both police and the Das family are clueless about what prompted the young man to end his life on his wedding anniversary.

Sanjit and Sathi, a BSNL employee, lived on the second floor of the well-furnished building; his parents and elder brother lived on the first floor.

“He was good at painting and used to run a painting school in the house. He had no fixed income, as he was a little disorganised, but recently, he landed himself a job with a construction firm in Salt Lake,” said Kallol Saha, Sanjit’s cousin.

Sanjit’s elderly parents — Ajit and Chhabirani — were inconsolable. Surrounded by some family members, Sathi lay in another room on the second floor.

“He was fine last night. He enjoyed a meal of ghugni and told his mother to add some mince meat when she prepared the dish the next time. Then, he played a video game with his nephew till well past midnight and the television was on in his room till 1 am… I don’t know what happened,” murmured Ajit, a retired government employee.

“We could not interrogate Sathi because she was not in a position to speak. Our officers will talk to her in a couple of days,” said deputy commissioner Chatterjee.

Email This Page