Calcutta, Jan. 12: The government today published a detailed list of plots totalling 960.13 acres that were acquired for Tata Motors with the consent of landowners in Singur, but Mamata Banerjee branded it a lie.
The list trashes Trinamul Congress’s claim that 464 acres out of the 997.11 acres required for the Tata project was forcibly acquired.
The government issued a release today saying that the details on Singur were available on its official site www.wbgov.com.
The 372-page list contains the names of over 15,000 people in five Singur mouzas — Bajemelia, Beraberi, Khasherbheri, Singherbheri and Gopalnagar — who consented to the acquisition, their plot areas and khatian (holding) numbers.
Land minister Abdur Rezzak Mollah said: “We have published a detailed list of those who have given consent to the Tata project. So, Trinamul’s claims that 464 acres were forcibly acquired are untenable.”
“The information on the website is false and we shall come out with our own list detailing the names of farmers whose land was forcibly acquired for the project,” a Trinamul leader quoted Mamata as saying tonight.
Trinamul MP Mukul Roy said the party has already submitted to the governor documents that show 464 acres had been taken away without owners’ consent.
The government, however, had said earlier that the list contained names of many whose land had not been acquired at all as they were outside the area earmarked for the small-car plant.
Officials in the commerce and industries department said tonight that the website would speak for itself about the government’s assertion on consent from a majority of the farmers.
“Let Trinamul come out with its list, people will understand which one is correct,” an official added.
Becharam Manna, the convener of the Save Farmland Committee, said he has begun mobilising people for a fresh round of protests. “We are least bothered about the government’s claims. The people here know what is what. We shall meet tomorrow to chart the course of our action,” he said.