The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Father held for champ’s death
- Tales erupt of a history of brutality

The day after she saw her 14-year-old son dying on her, Papia Bhattacharya signed on the dotted line to trigger the arrest of her husband.

Another chapter in the tragic tale at the Bhattacharya home of Niranjan Pally, Regent Park, was scripted on Tuesday when father Deepak was picked up by police for the death of teenaged table tennis champ Biswadeep.

“We arrested Deepak Bhattacharya after Biswadeep’s mother lodged a complaint against her husband. Post-mortem reports suggest that Biswadeep could have been hit by a blunt object. In addition, we have started a case against him for torturing his wife,” said S.N. Gupta, superintendent of police (South 24-Parganas).

Deepak was, however, admitted to MR Bangur Hospital after he complained of chest pain. He will be produced in court after the attending physician declares him fit.

In her complaint, Papia stated that Deepak would regularly beat up their son and even turn on her some times.

On Monday, Deepak allegedly hurled a hard object at his son when he was leaving a practice game of table tennis at home as he was feeling unwell.

Deepak had a history of punishing his son whenever the sub-junior champ would lose a table tennis match.

The father’s act of fury on Monday felled Biswadeep, leaving the boy writhing in pain on the floor. Even then, Deepak refused to act and insisted that Biswadeep would be fine. Papia finally rushed her son to hospital, only for him to be to declared dead, having succumbed to “internal injuries”.

Sister Neha, 9, in stunned silence. A Telegraph picture

“The boy could have been saved if his father had summoned a doctor in time,” said superintendent of police Gupta, adding that Deepak was even known to lash his son with electric wires.

Tales of parental pressure and brutality poured out on Tuesday. Arun Kumar Kar, president of the local Niranjan Pally Colony Committee, said: “You cannot imagine how he used to torture Biswadeep. Last winter, he had tied him to a lamp post and beat him mercilessly till we intervened. We were not harsh on him as he had been diagnosed with cardiac ailments and had even got a pacemaker implanted.”

Another neighbour, Raghu Das, recounted how last year, Biswadeep had run away to his house and sought shelter for two days, fearing his father’s fury following a defeat in a table tennis tournament.

On Tuesday, hundreds of people, including schoolchildren, assembled in front of the Bhattacharya residence to give the teenaged champion a touching farewell.

Once the body of Biswadeep arrived, members of local clubs and neighbours paid floral tributes. Mother Papia wept inconsolably, while sister Neha, 9, stood in stunned silence.

Email This Page