The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Mumbai blast arrest in city

Calcutta/Mumbai, Sept. 29: The anti-terrorist squad of Mumbai police today arrested one person from Calcutta and three others in connection with the July 11 serial train blasts.

Mumbai and Calcutta police picked up the youth in a pre-dawn swoop from the Rajabazar area. Mohammad Majid, who is in his mid-30s, was whisked away to Mumbai by a morning flight.

Prasun Mukherjee, Calcutta’s commissioner of police, said: “They (Mumbai police) had the name and address of the suspect. They sought assistance from us and we provided it.”

All four — the others are Mohammed Shafi, Shaikh Mohammed and Abdul Wahiduddin — were produced in a special court in south Mumbai and remanded in police custody till October 13.

Senior anti-terror squad (ATS) officials would not say what role Majid and the others played in the blasts that killed 189 people, but it was learnt that they were suspected to have links with the Lashkar-e-Toiba and their names were revealed by fellow accused, Faisal and Muzzamil Sheikh.

This is the first time the ATS has arrested a suspect from Calcutta in the July 11 case. According to Calcutta police records, no Calcuttan has been arrested in the recent past for involvement in a crime like the serial blasts.

On several occasions, policemen from other states have come to arrest criminals hiding in the city. “But none of them was a resident,” said an officer.

“But Majid had been staying on Canal West Road from his childhood. He has a shoe shop on Gas Street (in Rajabazar),” he said.

Policemen, all in plain clothes, reached Canal West Road around 3 am. “After locating the house, we cordoned it off. All six members of the Mumbai police team stormed into the house and dragged out the suspect,” the officer added.

“Before going with the Mumbai police team, we were not even told where we were going and who would be rounded up.”

Preliminary investigation has revealed that Majid is a permanent resident of the city. “He had visited Mumbai several times. Even a couple of weeks before the serial blasts, he went there,” the officer revealed.

Email This Page