The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Third tragedy strikes after birthday promise

Calcutta, July 26: Kalidas Banerjee lost his son, a traffic warden, in a road accident in 2003.

Last year, his wife, suffering since their son’s death, died of a heart attack.

Today, the retired assistant commandant of the Railway Protection Force learnt that his daughter Tanya had been killed, a month before she was to turn 32.

Around 10.30 in the morning, Banerjee got a call from Aviva 24/7 where Tanya worked in Bangalore that his daughter, who was all he had left, had an accident on the national highway in the Hassan district of Karnataka.

“I have not been officially informed of her passing away. I still cannot believe that she is no more. She spoke to me over the phone last night from her office and told me that she is going to visit me in the second week of August,” the father said at his Haricharan Banerjee Road home near Belur Bazar in Howrah.

Officials at the call centre said they had not broken the news of the death to the father out of concern for how he would cope.

Tanya went to Assembly of God Church School and studied English (Honours) at Scottish Church College in Calcutta. She had gone to Bangalore four years ago.

“She worked in two other companies before she took up her responsibilities in Aviva 24/7 as a call centre operator. She used to call up her father every day. There was nothing unusual when she called him up yesterday ' she told him what she had cooked for dinner and what she was planning to do on her birthday,” her uncle Pratap Chakraborty said.

While the SMS sent from Tanya’s phone to her roommate Shameem Banu last night said her birthday is on Friday, her uncle clarified that she would have turned 32 only on August 19. She had been planning to celebrate it in Calcutta.

“We do not know what happened. She had never told us about any of her friends she was close to. But from all that she used to recount, we realised that she used to socialise a lot and was well liked by her colleagues and superiors,” Chakraborty said.

Howrah superintendent of police Niraj Kumar Singh said that he had spoken to his counterpart in Hassan.

“I have talked to the superintendent of police of Hassan in Karnataka and have assured him all assistance. We will also help Karnataka police in their investigation and would do all that is needed to get the body back in Howrah as and when they release it,” Singh said.

Banerjee is leaving for Bangalore on Friday morning.

Email This Page