The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Hotel room suicide ends extra-marital affair

Separated by social norms in life, but united by love in death. Unable to give their relationship a name, a man and a woman, both in their mid-20s and both married, committed suicide in a central Calcutta hotel on Tuesday night.

The bodies were found hanging from a ceiling fan. A suicide note stating 'please bury us together' was lying on the floor.

Officers of Muchipara police station investigating the case said the joint suicide was the fallout of an extra-marital affair.

'Both left their residences last week and rented a room in a hotel near Sealdah. It was all planned ' they put up at the hotel to commit suicide together,' said Ajay Kumar, deputy commissioner of police (central division).

Manwar Ali, 25, owned a small beauty parlour on Amratala Street, in Burrabazar, where his partner, Cecilia Gomes, used to work as a hair designer.

'Manwar, a resident of Rabindra Sarani, was married with three kids. Gomes, who stayed in Watgunge, was also married and had two children,' said an officer of Muchipara police station.

According to Ajay Kumar, Manwar and Cecilia checked into the hotel on Baithakkhana Road on October 29 posing as a married couple. 'They wanted to spend some time together before killing themselves. The two never came out of their room during their stay,' the deputy commissioner added.

A waiter of the hotel first suspected that something was amiss around 11 pm on Tuesday when his knocks on the door of the couple's room failed to elicit a response.

'We rushed to the hotel as soon as the staff got in touch with us. We had to break down the door to enter the room. They used two new dupattas to hang themselves,' said an officer of Muchipara thana.

'The suicide note was written on a page of an exercise book. Manwar expressed his desire to be buried together, while Cecilia wrote that her husband was innocent and had no hint of her affair. She said her husband should not be blamed for her death,' the officer added.

Two small bags and a few clothes were found in the room. The couple was carrying about Rs 200 in cash.

'If they had plans to flee, they would have been carrying more cash and would not have stayed on for three days,' said an investigating officer.

Email This Page