The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Friends found dead off canal
- Mutilated bodies send police on motive hunt

An invitation to a birthday party ended in the gruesome death of two friends, with their mutilated bodies being found by a canal in Kasba on Monday morning.

Piyush Saha, 25, and Bimal Chakraborty, 28, were close friends and both went missing on Sunday evening. They had told their families that they were going to attend a birthday party in Kasba. They never came back.

Residents of Kasba Prantik Pally woke up on Monday to the ghastly sight of two bodies by a canal. Piyush had a bullet drilled into his head, a deep slash on the waist and his genitals had been chopped off.

A few yards away, closer to the water, lay Bimal, with multiple stab injuries all over his torso and badly-damaged genitals.

'This is one of the most gruesome twin murders we have come across in the recent past. The killings could be the result of a business rivalry or a love affair. We have some leads and are exploring a few other angles,' S.N. Gupta, superintendent of police (South-24 Parganas) told Metro.

It is not yet clear whether Piyush and Bimal had gone for some other appointment after attending the birthday party.

Police are questioning Dilip Das, who had hosted the party to celebrate his son's birthday, to ascertain how the two friends met their end.

Preliminary investigations have revealed that both the victims traded in readymade garments, as well as building material supplies.

While Bimal was a resident of Jadavpur, Piyush lived in Kasba. 'They used to work together and also spend a lot of time with each other,' said Radha Rani Saha, mother of Piyush.

Madhuri Chakraborty, mother of Bimal, said: 'Occasionally, my son would not return home at night. So I did not panic last night when he did not come back. But when there was no word from him till morning, I feared something had happened to him.' She demanded a high-level inquiry that would reveal the truth behind her son's death.

Reconstructing the crime and piecing together the circumstantial evidence at hand, police said that the manner in which the two were killed indicated 'extreme anger and hate' on the part of the killers.

'It seems that after a heated altercation, the two men were overpowered by some persons who carried out the gruesome killing and later dumped the bodies near the canal,' said Gupta.

Residents of Prantik Pally in Kasba told police they had heard a sound around 2 am. 'It seemed like someone had fallen off from a height. But it was too dark and late in the night to see what was happening,' said Anadi Deb.

Till 5 pm on Monday, the bodies could not be identified. It was only after the missing diaries lodged by the parents of the two missing men matched with the description of the victims that police confirmed their identities.

Email This Page