The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Hope dies for missing Indian

London, July 15: Her death was confirmed today in a matter of fact manner. A brief report said the inner London coroner, Dr Andrew Reid, formally opened and adjourned three more inquests into the deaths of victims of the London bombings.

One of them was Neetu Jain, 36, a computer analyst of Indian origin. In such a manner then was her boyfriend’s worst fears confirmed.

On the morning of July 7, Neetu was evacuated from Euston Station shortly after three bombs exploded simultaneously on the London Underground at 8.50 am. Now, it is clear she was walking into another bomb ' the one on the number 30 bus which exploded at 9.47 am.

She was certainly alive 10 minutes earlier.

Her boyfriend, Gous Ali, 33, who reported her missing that morning, said at the time: “She was right next to Tavistock Square when the bomb exploded. She called at 9.37 am to say she was okay and was going to catch the bus.” He said her family was “frantic” with worry. “I am going out of my mind with despair,” he admitted.

As the days passed, he talked a little more of their relationship and hopes for the future. They both lived in Hendon in north London, had known each other for a couple of years and were thinking of setting up home together.

“Neetu is a very spiritual, down-to-earth, loving person and she would not hurt anybody,” he said.

“Her family is of Indian origin but she is British and she embraces all faiths and cultures. I am a Muslim but nowhere in the Islam of the Quran does it say that this (the bombing) is acceptable.”

Another Asian family was today also mourning the loss of a young and much cherished life ' Shahara Akther Islam, a 20-year-old bank cashier from a Bangladeshi family from Plaistow, east London.

The police have released a list of 16 names from among at least 54 who died in the July 7 blasts.

Having established the identity of the four bombers, another breakthrough in investigations appeared to have been achieved today with the arrest of an Egyptian biochemist in Cairo.

Egypt’s interior ministry said 33-year-old Magdy El Nashar, a researcher at Leeds University in northern England, was being questioned in connection with the attacks.

He had left London for a 45-day holiday in Egypt before the bombings and had intended to return there, the ministry said. He had denied any knowledge of the attacks.

A spokeswoman for Leeds University said he was doing a doctorate in an environmentally friendly study involving “chemically-inactive substances”.

Email This Page