The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Sahara’s Roy captive: Petition
Subrata Roy

Lucknow, May 10: Subrata Roy, the Sahara chief, has been kept in 'illegal detention' by his wife Swapna and two others, it has been alleged in a habeas corpus petition.

Amid speculation about Roy’s health, Bharat Nath Shukla, claiming to be a 'well-wisher of Subrata Roy' who was acting on his behalf, filed the petition in the Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court yesterday.

Along with Swapna, Shukla named .P. Srivastava, deputy managing worker of Sahara, and one R.P. Roy as holding the Sahara chief in alleged captivity.

The petitioner sought a directive from the court to produce Roy before it, making the state police chief and the senior superintendent of police, Lucknow, party to the case.

When the petition came up for hearing today, Justice Mukteswar Prasad directed Shukla to file a supplementary affidavit by Thursday giving details of when he had talked to Roy and the place where he is alleged to have been detained forcibly.

The petitioner’s advocate, Harishankar Jain, alleged that Roy was being held hostage by the three but did not explain why. 'We all wish to see him in good health. We vow loyalty to him. And this petition is being filed on behalf of Subrata Roy only,' the petitioner said, stunning the courtroom.

The government pleader opposed the petition arguing that the allegations were unsubstantiated. 'This is a figment of imagination,' he said.

Roy was last seen in public on April 1 during the birth anniversary celebrations of his father, late Sudhir Chandra Roy, in Amby Valley, near Mumbai.

His absence has triggered feverish speculation and concern about his health. So much so that Sahara issued a statement yesterday saying that 'he was afflicted by some reversible mild disorders and they were nothing too serious to worry about'.

In a communication to his employees, a copy of which was released to the media, Roy said he had been advised by doctors to follow a strict lifestyle, including enough rest and exercise, to cope with a stressful work schedule and high blood pressure.

Roy said fatigue had been hampering his work and concentration level for a long time, which required medical attention. He expressed confidence that he would be back at work within six months to lead a life free of disease and disorder and contribute to the company more productively.

The communication said he has been following a strict dietary regime, has reduced travel and telephone conversations and is devoting more time to recreation and exercise, especially yoga. He said God had still not given him any disease other than some 'reversible mild disorders'.

Email This Page