The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Chided teen hangs herself
- Rebuked for watching TV while marks drop

A 13-year-old girl hanged herself in her east Calcutta residence on Monday night, a few hours after being scolded by her mother for spending too much time watching television instead of doing something to improve her dismal performance in school.

'Don't you have any shame, wasting your father's hard-earned money' Won't you try to do better this time' mother Anima Roy is believed to have shouted at daughter Mohua.

A Class VII student of Loreto School on Convent Road, Mohua was a resident of 69, DC Dey Road, in the Tangra police station area. She committed suicide late on Monday.

Mohua has left behind a suicide note, to the effect that she had failed the half-yearly examinations and did not expect her results to be any better in the annual examinations, either. Police believe this was the reason for her committing suicide.

'The girl went into her room, fastened one end of a sari to the ceiling fan, and hanged herself when there was nobody else in the house. The body was discovered later at night, when her parents returned home,' said Jawed Shamim, deputy commissioner of police (eastern suburban division).

According to police, Mohua's father Rajen Roy is a small-time businessman. On Sunday, he returned home late from work. It was then that he stumbled upon the dreadful truth of his daughter's suicide. Rajen rushed the girl to NRS Hospital, where doctors pronounced her dead.

The body was later sent for post-mortem to ascertain the exact cause of death. An unnatural death case has been registered with Tangra police station and an investigation is underway, though no foul play is apparent so far.

Anima had always been unhappy about the way Mohua whiled away her time. The girl had not been performing well at school. She had not been promoted to a higher class after a previous final examination, and the mother feared that a similar fate would befall her daughter this year, too.

Like any other concerned mother, Anima would try to monitor Mohua's leisure hours, little realising that her harsh words would drive her daughter to take the extreme step.

After tongue-lashing Mohua on Monday, mother Anima left home on some errand.

She returned around 8.40 pm. When she did not find Mohua watching television as usual, she assumed that the girl was studying in her room.

When father Rajen returned home, he called out to Mohua to join the rest of the family for dinner.

It was only then that the parents realised that something was amiss.

Email This Page