The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Medical student flown home dead
- Links with Lucknow classmate triggered murder

He went to a private medical college in Lucknow last year to pursue his dreams of becoming a doctor.

He returned to his Park Lane home late on Sunday — in a body bag.

Twenty-year-old Rabish Kumar Pandey was shot dead in Lucknow last Friday and cremated at Keoratala early on Monday.

His distraught family blamed Rabish’s death on the fallout of his “friendship” with a girl from Jhansi in his class.

Rabish, a first-year student with Era’s Lucknow Medical College, was allegedly shot dead by the girl’s suitor, Jitendra Singh Yadav.

According to Rabish’s elder sister Suman, a final-year student in the same medical college, Jitendra had warned her brother — over telephone, some five months ago — not to speak to the girl in question.

“But my brother took the threat lightly. Last Friday evening, Jitendra came to the medical college at Sarfarazganj, found Rabish and the girl chatting with some friends in front of a tea-stall on the campus and shot my brother dead,” alleged Suman.

Suman later identified Jitendra and gave a statement to the Thakurganj police station, naming him as her brother’s killer, before bringing Rabish’s body to Calcutta from Lucknow on Sunday afternoon.

Suman, who lodged an FIR with the Thakurganj police station, said the girl’s parents had even come to meet her at the medical college hostel last month.

According to her, the girl’s father was an officer with a nationalised bank in Allahabad.

Rabish was a student of Seventh Day Adventist Day School, on Park Street, and had passed his Higher Secondary examinations from Saifee Hall Golden Jubilee Public School, in Park Lane.

Rabish’s parents, Gorakhnath Pandey and Vidya Devi, hail from Gorakhpur, in Uttar Pradesh, and had settled in Calcutta some 35 years ago.

Pandey, who runs a travel agency on Park Street, said he had spent “a huge amount” to get his daughter and son admitted to the private medical college in Lucknow, hoping that this would help secure their future.

Pandey recounted how Rabish was severely ragged in college after joining last year.

“He had to endure the torture of being slapped repeatedly, which ruptured his eardrum. When I asked my son why he did not take up the matter with the principal, Rabish told me that he did not want to jeopardise his position in college, as I had paid a hefty amount to get him admitted,” he said.

Pandey also complained about the “indifferent attitude” of the Lucknow police. “The superintendent of police told me over telephone that despite raids in Jhansi, Jitendra could not be found… We want the case to be investigated by the CBI,” cried the bereaved father.

Email This Page