The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Torture slur on police

Ranchi, Jan. 24: A police officer allegedly tortured two villagers, including a woman, to get confessional statements at Kurdeg in Simdega district.

The victims, who are in the capital to meet chief Arjun Munda, bore the brunt of Kurdeg police station in-charge Binod Kumar Rawat’s fury in separate incidents.

The male victim was not only beaten black and blue, but had to face the ignominy of petrol being poured into his anus. The woman was allegedly dragged out from the bathroom and thrashed.

Simdega police superintendent Prashant Kumar confirmed the incidents. He said the officer has been sent to police lines. “We are probing the incidents. If the officer in-charge is found guilty, we will suspend him,” he said.

The woman, Subho Devi of Kadamtoli village under the same police station, was dragged out from bathroom and beaten up when she expressed her inability to provide information about her husband who is allegedly involved in criminal activity.

“The incident took place on January 12. A police team barged into the bathroom. When they came to know that I was taking a bath, they pulled me out and beat me with lathis since I could not give details about my husband’s whereabouts,” she said, showing her bruises.

The policemen wanted information about her husband Jeetu, who runs a business at Tangertoli in Chhattisgarh. The Kurdeg police team, led by officer in-charge Binod Kumar Rawat, was accompanied by a team of Chhattishgarh police.

The other victim, Ghuran Mahto (in his 50s) of Nangratoli village, said: “On January 15, around 10 pm, five people came to our house when we had finished dinner. They started thrashing my elder brother Bahuran Mahto, who died because of severe beating.

“The next day, around 8 am, I went to the Kurdeg police station to lodge an FIR. Instead of filing the FIR, the officer in-charge asked me to confess that I had killed my brother,” he said.

Mahto added: “When I denied the charges, the officer in-charge started beating me. I began to bleed profusely. I was writhing in pain. But the officer in-charge and his men continued their onslaught. They hung me upside down and beat me with lathis. The policemen poured petrol into my anus and asked me to confess that I had killed my brother. After torturing me for several hours, they let me go. I could not defecate properly for five days because of the excruciating pain. I was also down with high fever.”

Police sources said when Rawat realised that the incident could snowball, he got Mahto treated. After the treatment, he was put in the police lock-up and released on January 20.

Email This Page