The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Ashley Giles restricts Lanka

Kandy: Englandís bowlers produced a battling display to restrict Sri Lanka to 277 for seven at close on the first day of the second Test on Wednesday.

Sri Lanka, 187 for three at one stage, lost the initiative, losing three wickets for 19 runs before a fighting 64-run seventh wicket partnership.

England, who started the match with only a three-man attack having dropped seamers Matthew Hoggard and Richard Johnson, broke through again with the second new ball in the 87th over, as James Kirtley trapped Chaminda Vaas leg before, to leave the match intriguingly poised.

Sri Lanka skipper Hashan Tillakaratne found form after a disappointing first Test, batting out the final session to finish unbeaten on 45 from 97 balls. Kumara Dharmasena was batting on one.

Giles, Englandís hero in Galle with bat and ball, recovered from a bad bout of flu to take three for 85 from 27 overs. Tillekeratne Dilshan top scored for Sri Lanka, lacing 10 boundaries in his 63 from 94 balls.

Jayawardene followed his grafting 86 not out in the first Test with a more assured 45 from 94 balls, hitting six fours and one six before top edging a sweep and being caught by James Kirtley running in from deep square 10 minutes before tea.

Straight after the break, Dilshan gloved a nasty lifting delivery from Andrew Flintoff to Marcus Trescothick at first slip.

Three overs later, Thilan Samaraweera was unfortunate to be adjudged leg before by umpire Darryl Harper as he padded away a delivery from Giles that would have missed off stump.

Earlier, England had snatched the initiative before lunch as Sri Lanka, who had been cruising on 77 for one after winning the toss and electing to bat, slipped to 84 for three.

Sri Lanka lost their second wicket when Jayasuriya pushed the ball straight to mid-off and set off for a suicidal run. Sangakkara tried to send him back but eventually sacrificed his wicket as Kirtleyís throw left him yards short.

Email This Page