The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Neglect gun trained on Rajnis surgeon

Six months after the tragic death of budding fast bowler Rajnis Patel at state-run SSKM Hospital, the report card of negligence and wrong treatment is ready.

The Criminal Investigation Wing (CIW) of the city police has made its move to chargesheet orthopaedic surgeon D.K. Majumdar and four other doctors held responsible for the mistreatment.

The state health department, after going slow on the matter for weeks, gave the green signal to the sleuths on Wednesday. “Since the police cannot prepare a chargesheet against a government employee without our okay, we have decided to give them the necessary permission,” said health secretary Asim Barman.

Soumen Mitra, deputy commissioner (detective department), said the chargesheet would be submitted “within a few days”.

The 19-year-old youth from Bhowanipore died in the orthopaedics ward of SSKM Hospital on June 1, four months and five failed surgeries after being admitted with a fractured leg.

His parents alleged death due to medical negligence, and the state health department ordered a probe. It was found that mostly post-graduate trainees had operated on Rajnis, as Majumdar and the seniors were away. Majumdar was suspended and the CIW started stitching up the case.

When the health department refused to hand over a copy of the investigation report, based on which Majumdar had been suspended, the CIW moved Alipore court on September 30 to seek judicial intervention in this regard. The court ordered the health department to hand over a copy of the report in 10 days.

But the health department had been sitting on the letter of approval required to press charges against government employees. On three occasions, the investigating officer was turned down by the health department, before deputy commissioner Mitra made a request recently.

Enough evidence of negligence has, apparently, been gathered against Majumdar, who was found to be busy attending to patients in private clinics while Rajnis’ condition was deteriorating. The surgeon had earlier termed the charge “baseless”.

Email This Page