The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
The City Diary

Nasreen book ban order extended

Calcutta High Court’s interim order prohibiting the publication, marketing and sale of Taslima Nasreen’s controversial book Dwikhandita, has been extended by another five weeks. The matter came up for hearing before Justice Jayanta Biswas on Monday. The judge asked Samrat Sen, Nasreen’s lawyer, to provide his client’s address so that a copy of the case could be sent to the author. Sen failed to provide Nasreen’s address and the court granted him time to collect and give it to the petitioner’s lawyer. The high court on November 18, had passed the interim order on the basis of a defamation suit filed by Calcutta-based poet Syed Hasmat Jalal, who alleged that Nasreen had maligned him in her book.

Fog disrupts flights

Dense fog disrupted air traffic to and from Calcutta on Monday morning. No flights could land at or take off from Dum Dum airport till 8.30 am. Twelve flights of Indian Airlines, Alliance Air, Jet Airways and Air Sahara on the Delhi, Mumbai, Port Blair and Agartala sectors were held up for hours. A Mumbai-bound craft of Indian Airlines was the first to leave Calcutta airport, at 8.35 am.

Cave-in death

Sanjoy Ghosh, 40, died after a wall of a tea-stall caved in at Bishnupur, on the southern fringes of the city, on Monday morning. Three persons were seriously injured, police said. They were taken to a local hospital where Ghosh succumbed to his injuries.

Baby run over

Suman Rezzak, the two-and-a-half-year-old daughter of a slum-dweller, died in Mitra Lane in the Jorasanko police station area on Monday morning. Suman was crushed under the wheels of a Matador van when the vehicle was in reverse gear, police said. The tragedy occurred behind Mahajati Sadan. The baby was declared dead at Medical College and Hospital. Angry residents hurled stones at three other vans parked nearby, smashing their windscreens. The driver of the Matador van has been arrested.

Mother, son injured

Tapati Das, 59, and her 22-year-old son Sudip, residents of Vivekananda Park in the Regent Park area, were admitted to MR Bangur Hospital on Monday evening with severe burns. Sudip, an autorickshaw driver, had stored lubricants in their rented house which accidentally caught fire, police said. The two were first taken to Bagha Jatin State General Hospital and later shifted to MR Bangur.

Lawyer found dead

Anindita Mukherjee, a 24-year-old lawyer and resident of Seoraphuli, was found hanging at her in-laws’ on Sunday evening. Her husband, father-in-law and sister-in-law were arrested on charges of torturing her.

Telephone fire

Telephone services were affected in Baruipur, on the city’s southern outskirts, after a fire broke out in the local telephone exchange early on Monday. The fire was detected in the air-conditioning plant of the exchange, fire brigade sources said. Two fire engines doused the flames in about an hour.

Goons held

Pappu, a dacoit, and five of his associates were picked up from Barrackpore on Sunday night. Nine rounds of cartridges, three pipeguns and some daggers were found on them.

Hearings delayed

Work at the West Bengal Minorities’ Commission has been hit due to the ill health of its chairman, former Calcutta High Court judge K.M. Yusuf, who has been advised rest for at least six weeks. Yusuf is now functioning from his residence, but all hearings of the commission have been postponed.

Martyrs honoured

Freedom fighters Ardhendu Guha and Ashutosh Mukherjee, both in their 90s, garlanded the statues of Binoy, Badal and Dinesh, opposite the central gate of Writers’ Buildings, on Monday, on the occasion of the trio’s martyrdom.

Thumbs Up


TO Baranagar Youth Club for starting an ambulance service

Email This Page