The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Yasin out of terror shadow

New Delhi, Sept. 23: A special court today discharged Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front chief Yasin Malik in a Tada case slapped on him 11 years ago for aiding and abetting terrorist activities in Kashmir.

Judge S.. Dhingra dismissed the 1992 case, saying the evidence produced by the CBI did not establish the charge that Malik received foreign funds to help militant outfits.

“Justice has been done after a long time,” Malik said on hearing the verdict. The Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (Tada) was scrapped by Parliament, which then enacted the Prevention of Terrorism Act.

“I am very happy that Judge Dhingra has dismissed the case. But the very fact that Yasin had to face false charges for nearly 11 years is a reflection of the capability of our investigating agencies and the way they operate,” said human rights activist Tapan Bose, a long-time friend of Malik.

Rights activists are asking that if there was no evidence to link Malik to the case, why were the charges of conspiracy filed against him in the first place.

Last year, police again tried to implicate the JKLF chief after they arrested a man and a woman, allegedly carrying $100,000. They had apparently confessed that they were carrying the money from a Pakistani agent in Nepal to be given to Malik. Though the force went to town about the couple’s arrest, the police have so far not registered a case.

Malik was arrested in Delhi on February 13, 1992, on charges that he had received money from Pakistan for promoting terrorist organisations in the Valley.

Delhi police claimed they recovered Rs 4.5 lakh from his possession.

But the country’s elite investigating agency could not back up its case with solid facts, leading to dismissal of the charges.

In its chargesheet against Malik, the CBI said between 1985 and 1992, he conspired with four others to fund militancy in the Valley. It claimed on February 7, 1992, he and co-accused Mohammed Sheikh received Rs 7.5 lakh from the ISI.

They collected another Rs 25 lakh on February 10. But the CBI could not back any of its claims with evidence.

The other four accused in the case had pleaded guilty and were let off after taking into consideration the period they had already spent in prison.

Email This Page