The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Sachin likely to hatch new promo

Mumbai: Sachin Tendulkar, who has been promoting automobiles and tyres, may soon be seen in an ad calling upon the janata to eat/eat more eggs. That has become likely after the Mumbai Cricket Association’s (MCA’s) two-year sponsorship deal with Venky’s and the National Egg Coordination Committee (NECC).

The MCA, after all, has committed to make available five players (including Sachin) for TV/print media shoots — besides promo appearances — and the sponsors are bound to take advantage. This commitment, though, is for a total of six days each year.

“Yes, getting Sachin to espouse the cause of eggs is very much a possibility. However, the ads haven’t been worked out,” a spokesman for Venky’s told The Telegraph on Tuesday night, during the MCA’s formal announcement of the Rs 90-lakh contract which covers all teams, not just the Ranji side.

According to Prof. Ratnakar Shetty, the MCA joint-secretary, Sachin’s “consent” was taken before the deal — brokered by Ravi Shastri’s Showdiff — was inked.

“He is only too happy that the Mumbai cricketers will get additional money,” Prof. Shetty added.

Incidentally, the MCA will be following the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s formula, with 60 per cent of the sponsorship money going to the players. Then, much of the remaining 40 per cent will go towards development.

Going by the contract, the Mumbai teams will sport the NECC logo this season and Venky’s in 2004-2005.

Email This Page