The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
The City Diary

Metro services hit by technical snag

Metro Rail services were suspended for almost half an hour on Tuesday afternoon after a technical snag held up a Dum Dum-bound train in the tunnel near Kalighat station. Commuters, trapped between Kalighat and Jatin Das Park, were evacuated from a rear door of the train, which had just left the platform. The Railway Protection Force was called in during the 25-minute operation. Seven coaches had entered the tunnel after leaving the Kalighat station at 1.16 pm, when the train developed a technical snag, according to Metro officials. The power to the third rail was cut and train services were not resumed till 2 pm. Due to the disruption, five trains had to be cancelled. A snag had apparently been detected in the same carriage earlier in the day when it left Dum Dum for the 12.30 pm trip. It left the station three minutes behind schedule and stopped at least twice.

Twin blazes, two injured

A fire broke out on Tuesday morning at a hosiery store at Netaji Nagar, in the Regent Park police station area. Police said the fire started at around 6.30 am and it took four fire tenders and nearly five hours to douse the flames. In another incident, two persons were injured when a fire broke out in Jagaddal, on the northern fringes of the city, on Monday night. According to the police, the fire started in a godown in Golbazar and spread to an adjacent house. Ratan Mukherjee and Tarak Pal, who were sleeping in the house, were trapped. Two fire engines brought the blaze under control.

Run over and killed

Two men were run over in separate accidents in and around the city. Dharamprakash Agarwal, 64, was run over by a vehicle near the Salt Lake telephone exchange on Tuesday morning. According to the police, Agarwal, a resident of CS block, was returning home after his morning walk. While crossing the road, a private car knocked him down and fled. Agarwal died on the spot. In another accident, Saila Ghosh, 48, was run over by a truck at Colony More, Barasat, on Tuesday morning. Police said the mishap occurred when Ghosh was crossing the road. The truck knocked him down while trying to overtake a private bus.

Power raids

Twelve persons were arrested in the past two days for involvement in power theft. According to a CESC spokesperson, 11 people were arrested at Taratala and Tiljala for illegally tapping power. About 200 illegally-hooked lines were cut off by CESC officials with the help of the police. Also CESC shifted its emergency call centre from Bosepukur to the EM Bypass. The new breakdown call centre started functioning from Monday. Residents of the area can dial 24431237.

Tram derailed

Peak-hour traffic was disrupted on Tuesday afternoon on Rabindra Sarani when a south-bound tramcar got derailed. The police said it took more than an hour-and-a-half to restore normalcy.

Malaria camps

The Calcutta Municipal Corporation will hold 32 malaria awareness camps. The largest one will be inaugurated by mayor Subrata Mukherjee on August 19 at the BB Ganguly Street-Amherst Street crossing.

Patrol van theft

Dhananjay Singh, a driver of an oil tanker, was arrested on Tuesday morning on Ripon Street when he tried to flee after stealing a wireless set from a patrol van parked in the police garage. According to the police, a forged driverís license was also recovered from him. He was produced in court and was remanded in police custody. The vehicle was seized.

Naxals arrested

Two persons were arrested on Tuesday for allegedly having links with a Naxalite outfit. Police said Swapan Dasgupta was arrested in a house in Garia Station Road in the Sonarpur police station area following a raid. Several books, documents and a computer were seized, the police said. After interrogating Dasgupta, police later arrested another person at College Street.

Thumbs Down


TO A Puja Committee for uprooting trees at Deshapriya Park to set up a pandal

Email This Page