Arbil (Iraq), Sept. 10 (Reuters): A suicide bomber in northern Iraq killed himself and an Iraqi child and wounded more than 50 people, including six US personnel, according to local people and the US military today.
The US military also announced the deaths of two American soldiers, killed by makeshift bombs in Baghdad.
In the fifth vehicle bomb attack in Iraq in as many weeks, a four-wheel drive stopped suddenly in front of a house in the Kurdish city of Arbil last evening and exploded with the driver inside, residents said.
They said the house was used by US intelligence agents. A military spokeswoman initially said it had been a “safe house”. Later, military press officers became tight-lipped, confirming little more than that the blast had taken place.
Fierce flames leapt into the night sky in the aftermath of the blast. A woman hurried away cradling a baby and an armed man carried a bloodied man over his shoulder from the scene.
Local people said the bomber had died. A Kurdish official said a five-year-old child had also died from injuries inflicted by the blast. Forty-seven Iraqis were wounded, the US military spokeswoman said in Baghdad.
The bombing 350 km north of Baghdad was the latest setback to US-led efforts to pacify Iraq following the war that ousted Saddam Hussein on April 9.
Almost 70 US soldiers have been killed by hostile fire since May 1. A soldier attached to the US army’s 1st Armored Division was killed in Baghdad today when a bomb exploded during an operation to defuse it.