New Delhi: New Zealand Cricket chief executive Martin Snedden said on Tuesday the twin blasts in Mumbai will not affect the Black Caps’ upcoming tour of India, starting late September.
Snedden was awaiting information from the BCCI regarding the blasts in Mumbai’s commercial hub on Monday which claimed 52 lives.
“It’s too early to know anything about it. We’re just waiting for BCCI to come back to us and give us their views,” Snedden was quoted as saying by a New Zealand website. “At this stage there’s no reason to think the tour won’t be proceeding.”
Snedden agreed he would have to reassure the players of their safety after their experience in Pakistan last May, when a fatal bomb blast outside their hotel saw them abandoning the tour.
Snedden however ruled out making an immediate tour of India to assess security arrangements before the series. NZC’s security manager Reg Dickason would continue to check security arrangements with the BCCI as usual. “We keep the players involved in the process and feed them information.
Meanwhile, the BCCI has issued strict directions to all the staging venues to ensure the matches are trouble-free. “We will not compromise on player security. We have given strict instructions to all the associations to adhere to our guidelines on security,” BCCI secretary S. K. Nair said.
Ladies’ Test in Gujarat
Reigning women’s world champions New Zealand will tour India from November 19 to December 15 for one Test match and five ODIs.
Shubhangi Kulkarni, former India captain and secretary of the Women’s Cricket Association of India (WCAI), said on Tuesday the Test will be held in Vapi (Gujarat).
The one-dayers will be played in Mumbai, Aurangabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai. The dates are yet to finalised.
India had finished third in the World Cup last year. The players are currently attending a 20-day camp which started on Monday. (PTI)