New Delhi, July 24: The foreign ministry has admitted a recent “transgression” by Chinese troops on the Line of Actual Control in Arunachal Pradesh.
The admission comes a day after Atal Bihari Vajpayee told Parliament that Sikkim would soon cease to be an issue in bilateral relations and that Delhi had not compromised on Tibet. The incursion occurred when the Prime Minister was visiting China last month.
The foreign ministry said Delhi had taken up with Beijing the troops’ failure to adhere to provisions dealing with situations where personnel and patrols belonging to the neighbours come face-to-face.
Rumours were swirling about the incursion but South Block chose to downplay the incident. However, it was forced to acknowledge the transgression after it was reported in the media.
Foreign ministry spokesman Navtej Sarna said: “The government is aware of the transgression on the LAC by a Chinese patrol on June 26 in the Asaphila area of Arunachal Pradesh’s upper Subansiri district.”
He added: “This is an area where the two sides differ in perception over the LAC.”
Media reports said an Indian security team was stopped by a Chinese patrol while on a routine mission 14 km inside the LAC.