The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Cop cry nets callous cops

Not protesting a crime is crime enough, especially if you are a keeper of the law and the victim is a brother-in-arms.

Two traffic sergeants were suspended on Monday evening for not having lifted a finger while their colleague was being thrashed by a businessman and his driver.

The police action against the cops was taken on the basis of a complaint lodged by Samir Das, the injured constable.

Das, of the Vidyasagar Setu traffic guard, was on duty in front of Kidderpore mazhar on July 12, when the car of Harishankar Singh, who runs a transport business, came to a halt in a no-parking zone.

The constable promptly cornered Singh’s driver and slapped him with a Rs-100 case.

The businessman and his driver, far from being apologetic for flouting the road rule, turned on Das and threatened him with dire consequences if he did not withdraw the charge. Das stood his ground and Singh and his driver departed, threatening to be back the next day.

On Sunday, the two returned to the same spot around the same time. Spotting Das on duty, the duo parked the car and attacked the constable.

Within shouting distance of the spot at which Das was being beaten up, two sergeants were sitting on their motorcycles, and, as alleged by the constable, “watching the fun”.

Neither made the slightest move to come to the rescue of their junior colleague.

Once the businessman and his driver left the spot, the constable, bleeding and bruised, first lodged a complaint against his assailants with the South Port police station. On the basis of Das’ complaint, the South Port thana rounded up Singh and his driver. They were produced before court on Monday and granted bail.

Das, meanwhile, lodged a complaint with his superiors about the two sergeants who stood by, watched him being beaten up and did nothing to stop the attackers.

“The traffic department launched an inquiry immediately on receiving the constable’s complaint,” deputy commissioner of police (traffic) M.K. Singh said on Monday.

“As a first step, we have issued suspension orders to the sergeants accused of not taking any step to rescue their colleague. A full-fledged departmental inquiry is on and if the two are found guilty of negligence on duty, appropriate action will be taken against them, as per law,” added Singh.

The South Port police station, meanwhile, is conducting a parallel probe. “The officer-in-charge has been asked to investigate the matter and submit a report at the earliest. This report will then be forwarded to the traffic department,” said O.P. Gupta, deputy commissioner (south).

Email This Page