The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Suspension slapped on CID sleuth

Durgapur, June 19: A Criminal Investigation Department officer here was suspended on Tuesday for alleged links with the abductors of several businessmen here as well as in Purulia.

“Yes, we have suspended the officer and a departmental inquiry is going on. I will not speak any more for the sake of investigation,” said CID inspector-general R.K. Johri on phone from Calcutta.

The inspector-general refused to disclose the name of the suspended officer.

Local CID officers said their suspended colleague had allowed Gopal Prasad Gupta alias Gopal Mudi to make a threat call to Naresh Agarwal, a Purulia-based industrialist, whom he had abducted in April.

The CID had brought Gopal here to question him on the abduction of Barakar businessman Shivkumar Agarwal.

“Last week, Gopal was taken to the CID office from the subdivisional jail for interrogation, from where he called Naresh Agarwal on his mobile phone with the help of the suspended officer,” alleged a senior police officer.

Naresh Agarwal promptly told Purulia police superintendent V.K. Goyal about the call and passed on the caller identity. Goyal, after confirming that the call was made from the CID office here, informed inspector-general, western range, Gautam Mohan Chakraborty.

Gopal told CID sleuths that the suspended officer had allowed him to make the phone call. A report was sent to the CID headquarters at Bhabani Bhavan in Calcutta and the suspension notice followed.

Naresh Agarwal and his driver were kidnapped while travelling from Purulia to Durgapur on April 4. They were released on April 16, but police continued the investigation and later linked the kidnap to Gopal.

Contempt rap for cop

Satyaranjan Chaki, the officer in charge of Patashpur police station in East Midnapore, was remanded in judicial custody here for three days for contempt of court.

He had not appeared in court for seven years in a case slapped on him by Manju Mandal, wife of Chandra Mandal, for detaining her husband for four days while Chaki was in charge of the Tehatta police station in Nadia.

Email This Page