The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Cops gear up to name guilty in cable death

Nearly 27 days after Amit Dalmia was killed by a Reliance Infocomm cable which pierced through his car’s undercarriage and into his heart, the police announced they were gearing up to file a chargesheet against individuals whom they can name, and not “unknown persons”, within the stipulated period of 90 days.

Deputy commissioner of police (detective department) Soumen Mitra said investigations are on in full swing and the police will soon be in a position to “name” the persons who could be held directly responsible for the death of the 26-year-old businessman. Mitra, however, would not say whether senior Reliance officials could be held directly responsible for Amit’s death. The police had registered a case under Section 304 A (death due to negligence) against unknown persons a few days after the incident.

On the night of May 12, Dalmia was driving down Camac Street. A metal strip laid by Reliance to protect its optic-fibre cables had come undone from the road surface. It pierced through Dalmia’s car and penetrated into his heart and lungs, killing him instantaneously.

Within a week’s time, the detective department took over the case and asked Reliance to hand over all relevant documents of the case to determine who was responsible for laying the cables.

On Monday, deputy commissioner Mitra said his department had examined several documents and was still awaiting some more Reliance papers. “The case depends a lot on the documents and my sleuths are meticulously going through each one of them. We will definitely file the chargesheet within the stipulated period and also, definitely against individuals whom we can name,” said Mitra.

Meanwhile, with the high court reopening after its summer vacation, Santosh Dalmia, Amit’s father, said he was preparing to file a case against Reliance within the next few days. “We are ready to file a case against Reliance. I have consulted my lawyers and we are working on the last-minute details,” said Santosh Dalmia.

On Monday, his elder son Vishal met senior officers of the detective department, seeking a copy of the post-mortem report. “We were told that the copy will be made available to us by Wednesday. Once we get the report, things will move faster,” announced Santosh Dalmia

Dalmia said he had received “overwhelming” support in his crusade. “I shall make sure that Amit did not die in vain,” he said. “It is my duty now to ensure that nobody else meets with the same fate as Amit.”

Email This Page