The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Wife injected with ‘poison’ dies

Sarmistha Biswas, the woman whose doctor husband allegedly poisoned her by injecting her with a high dose of anaesthetic, died in a city hospital on Tuesday.

Sarmistha breathed her last at around 1.20 pm at the Calcutta Medical Research Institute (CMRI). Family and neighbours thronged the hospital after news of her death reached Nandan Park, in Thakurpukur, where Sarmistha’s parents stay.

Sarmistha’s husband, Sudip Biswas, a city-based doctor accused of poisoning his wife, is now in police custody. A case under section 307 (attempt to murder) of the Indian Penal Code was registered against him, but with his wife’s death, he will be booked under Section 302 (murder), said officers of Thakurpukur police station probing the case.

“Investigations are in full swing, but we haven’t yet received the forensic test reports of the syringe and the ampoule used by Sudip. The report has a very important bearing on this case,” said inspector in-charge Shyamal Ghosh.

Sarmistha was married to Sudip, who lives in Bangur Avenue, a few years ago. The marriage turned sour with her frequently returning to her parent’s house in Thakurpukur after a tiff with her husband.

On several occasions, her parents and relatives intervened to sort out differences between the couple. Things came to a head after Sarmistha returned to Thakurpukur on May 15 and refused to return to her husband. The same day, Sudip reached his in-laws’ place to take his wife back home.

However, since Sarmistha was reluctant, her parents persuaded Sudip to stay back. Late in the evening, her condition worsened and Sudip promptly took out an ampoule and syringe and prepared to give her injections. “Don’t worry, you will be fine in minutes,” Sudip reportedly assured Sarmistha, according to her mother, Manisha.

Soon Sarmistha’s condition worsened and she was throwing up blood. So, her parents moved her to a local nursing home. Sudip was later arrested on the basis of a complaint lodged by his in-laws, who discovered a syringe in a bush behind the house.

In her complaint to the police, Manisha alleged that her son-in-law would regularly threaten Sarmistha that he would kill her. The couple was passing through a financial crisis and would often quarrel, with Sudip threatening to kill himself and his wife, Manisha alleged.

Meanwhile, at CMRI, Sarmistha’s family members requested the authorities to give them some time to pay the monumental bills incurred there. “We have given them time to clear the bills and take the body home,” said the hospital authorities.

Hospital authorities said that Sarmistha, who was on life support, failed to respond to any medication from Monday evening. “We tried our best, but her condition kept getting worse by the hour,” said a hospital spokesman.

Email This Page