The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Ignored family files cable FIR

Calcutta, May 16: The phone has hardly stopped ringing at the Dalmia residence after a metal strip killed Amit Dalmia, but none of the calls was from the administration or Reliance Infocomm, the company that laid the cable.

“It seems no one is bothered,” sobbed Santosh Dalmia, who lost his 26-year-old son on Monday night.

But the family said it is moving ahead with plans for a legal battle. “We have filed an FIR at Shakespeare Sarani police station tonight, holding Reliance Infocomm responsible for the death of Amit. Discussions are on with lawyers and we have plans to move court against Reliance Infocomm next week. We are also planning to make the civic body (the CMC) a party in the case,” said Vishal, Amit’s elder brother.

This afternoon, Vishal learnt that the case had been handed over to the murder cell of the detective department from the fatal squad of the traffic police.

“I had gone to Lalbazar in the morning to get details of the case before filing our FIR,” Vishal said. But the officer concerned was not there and Vishal was directed to come back in the afternoon.

“I called up the officer from my office before leaving and it was then that he told me that the case has been transferred,” Vishal said.

If the court awards compensation, the family will use that to set up a trust in Amit’s name. “We won’t touch the money,” Santosh Dalmia said.

On Friday afternoon, the two-storied house on Ritchie Road was full of relatives and friends. The male members were sitting in the drawing room with Santosh Dalmia, while the ladies and the younger ones were inside with his wife Kusum.

“Whenever we had any plan to go out, I used to come here and pick him up. It was the first time that he was coming to my residence to pick me up. Amit always hated to take Albert Road, and it’s really strange that he chose that route on Monday, ” said Sachin, the friend who asked Amit over to his house on Camac Street.

“Amit was supposed to come to my place to fix some problems with my printer that evening but cancelled his plans twice before finally deciding after my call, at 9.30, to meet me as I was leaving for Varanasi the next day,” he added.

Amit was a good student and went to St Paul’s School in Darjeeling. After a bachelor’s degree in commerce from St Xavier’s College, Calcutta, he did his MBA in finance from Leeds University.

“He was never interested in joining the family construction business. Amit started working since the college days and worked for two years with ModiLuft. After coming back from England, he had a two-month training stint at GE Caps in Delhi,” Santosh Dalmia said.

But Amit wanted to stay with the family, and came back to Calcutta. He did not take up a job he had recently landed with a Bangalore-based insurance company. Dalmia was trying to set up a business for his second son. He was also planning to get Amit married by the end of the year.

“Lekin achanak sab khatam ho gaya (but suddenly everything is over), Santosh Dalmia said, taking off his glasses.

Email This Page