The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
8 Tripura employees abducted

Agartala, April 10: Militants of the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) today abducted eight state government employees and seriously injured the manager of Tripura Gramin Bank in an ambush not far from the state capital.

Police sources said Bikash Debbarma, manager of the Tripura Gramin Bank’s Jampui Jala branch, and some of his colleagues and employees of the panchayat department were returning to Agartala from Jampui Jala when the vehicle in which they were travelling came under fire from militants at Belbari.

Debbarma and Shibu Chakraborty, handyman of the vehicle, were injured in the firing. After the jeep came to a halt, the militants abducted the other 10 passengers. Two of them, Pradip Pal and Pradip Ghosh,however, escaped from their clutches.

The injured bank manager and the handyman were found lying on the road by police personnel from Takarjala and Jirania. Both were rushed to G.B. Hospital here. The eight persons who were abducted have been identified as Kanu Ranjan Biswas, Sukumar Saha, Amulya Debbarma, Vikram Debbarma, Swapan Bhusan Roy, Adhir Mazumdar, Mahadeb Sil and Snehasish Deb.

The first four are employees of the Tripura Gramin Bank, while the next three are panchayat secretaries. Deb is the driver of the vehicle that was attacked. On February 2, 11 non-tribal members of a folk theatre group were abducted by the NLFT from Emraspahsa under Fatikroy police station of North Tripura district. Two of the hostages have since returned home unhurt, but the other nine remain in captivity.

Jawan killed

A Tripura State Rifles (TSR) jawan was killed in an accidental firing and a non-tribal civilian was abducted by NLFT militants last night.

Police sources said a group of jawans of the TSR 1st battalion were returning to their Bishalgarh subdivisional headquarters last night after completing their escort duty for officers of ONGC in Konaban drill site of the subdivision.

Around 7.30 pm, when the jeep reached near Bishalgarh market, the service SLR of Bishnu Dhar (32) accidentally went off. The bullet hit Pijush Debbarma (28), who was sitting opposite Dhar in the rear of the jeep, on the chest and he died on the spot. Though the SLR went off accidentally, police in Bishalgarh have arrested Dhar for interrogation.

In a separate incident last night, NLFT militants backed by Bangladeshi dacoits stormed the house of non-tribal government employee Pramesh Das (35) in Birajanagar village under Churaibari police station in Dharmanagar subdivision.

The militants and the dacoits looted the gold ornaments of his wife, abducted Das and then crossed over to Bangladesh.

Email This Page