Cape Town: South Africa have withdrawn from next month’s triangular one-day tournament in Sharjah because of fears for player safety following the outbreak of war in the Gulf region.
South Africa had been scheduled to play in the competition with Pakistan and Sri Lanka from April 1 to 10.
“We value our players and officials and we cannot continue with the tour when there is concern about their safety,” Gerald Majola, chief executive of the UCBSA, said in a press statement.
However, a Pakistan Cricket Board spokesman, Samiul Hasan, said that Pakistan have no plan to withdraw for safety reasons.
“We are, however, engaged in discussions with the tournament organisers as to possible alternative venues and or dates for the tournament to be held,” Majola said.