Dhaka, March 10: Bangladesh has banned a little known Islamic militant outfit that had voiced support for militants in India’s Northeast.
The Shahadat-e-al-Hikma had vowed to launch an armed struggle to establish Islamic rule in Bangladesh.
Home Minister Air Vice-Marshal (Retd) Altaf Hossain Chowdhury told Parliament last night that the ban was ordered last month, days after the outfit outlined a 12-point programme at a news conference. The programme included recruiting youths for armed training.
Police here are now looking for the Shahadat’s leaders who have gone underground after the outfit went public for the first time last month.
At the press conference in the north-western city of Rajshahi, the outfit’s leaders had said Muslims should be allowed to take up arms to fight injustice against them. They distributed leaflets outlining their programmes.
The government in Dhaka sat up when the outfit and its plans hit the headlines.
Chowdhury refuted Opposition allegations that the Bangladesh Nationalist Party government was not doing enough to check the Shahadat. He said the notice containing the ban order has been sent to the police administration in Rajshahi.