The state Bar Council has threatened its “second and final round of agitation” against the government for “its failure to keep its assurances of a downward revision of the enhanced court fees”.
Council chairman Amiya Kumar Chatterjee announced on Thursday that in the first phase of the second protest round, the Council will stage a “mass fast’’ and a march to the Assembly. “The satyagraha and the fast will be held on March 26,” said the chairman. The second phase will involve “mass agitation”.
Council members had observed a 46-day ceasework across the state in December before calling it off on a written assurance from law minister Nisith Adhikari. “Two months have passed and now the minister tells us the fees cannot be revised as the finance department has not given the green signal,” complained Chatterjee.
The executive committee of the Council met during the day and the members “unanimously” decided to empower the chairman to chalk out the next course of action. Asked whether the Council would announce another indefinite strike if its demands were not met, Chatterjee said: “At this stage, I cannot say how far we will have to go to achieve our goal.”
The state government had increased court fees from November 7 last year. On November 12, the Council had called for an “indefinite strike”. There had been a sharp division over the decision to withdraw the strike. Dibyendu Biswas and Jyotipriyo Mallik, executive members of the Council, said: “Our suggestion to continue with the strike stands vindicated. This time, the government will have to face worse.”