| LATIF: ‘I have cooled down’
Johannesburg: While, the Pakistan cricket chiefs announced they had closed the Rashid Latif chapter, the Pakistan wicketkeeper withdrew his threat to sue the Australia team on Thursday after they had accused him of making a racist remark.
Latif was cleared of the charge after Australia’s 82-run win over Pakistan in their World Cup pool A match on Tuesday.
Match Referee Clive Lloyd said there had not been sufficient evidence to prove the allegation.
Media reports on Wednesday said Latif, who was accused of making a remark to wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist, was considering legal action.
But the player said on Thursday: “I have had second thoughts about the whole affair and decided not to pursue this matter. I have cooled down. I was unhappy about being accused but this could harm the game and the World Cup, and I have always had good relations with Adam.”
Earlier Pakistan team manager Shaharyar Khan had said: “For the Pakistan Cricket Board and the Pakistan cricket management, the matter is closed.
“We are satisfied with the Match Referee’s decision. If Rashid Latif was to pursue legal action, he will do it in a personal capacity.”
Latif had said immediately after the hearing that he had “no hard feelings towards anyone, including Adam Gilchrist and the Australia team. I just want to concentrate on the World Cup”.
He appeared, however, to change his mind later in the evening, leading to reports that he might sue. Gilchrist had echoed Latif’s initial reaction. He said he had been “shocked by the comment I believe I heard”, adding that the pair had since shaken hands. (Reuters)