The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Jawan faces court martial for ISI links

Behrampore, Nov. 23: The army arrested a jawan, Nazrul Islam, here today and took him away to Madhya Pradesh, where he will face court martial at his regiment headquarters for his alleged connivance with the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence.

The police also picked up two former armed forces personnel on similar charges from Nadia and from the Jalangi area in Murshidabad.

This is the second instance of defence personnel being arrested after air force police on Thursday picked up Aufan Ukil, a data operator from the base in Pune, for allegedly being on the ISI payroll.

Ukil, a resident of Nadia’s Kailagunj area, is presently in Calcutta and is expected to be interrogated in the presence of four ISI “agents”.

Islam, a 22-year-old youth from Kuchiamore village in the Domkol area, had been asked to report to the police yesterday but was later released and asked to come back again today. The soldier arrived at the district intelligence branch office at 10 am.

A little later, an army team from Calcutta arrived in a Tata Sumo and took him away. The car had five soldiers with assault rifles and an officer in mufti. The team is bound for the Mahar regiment headquarters at Saugor in Madhya Pradesh.

Police and military intelligence officials have so far questioned 30 personnel belonging to the army, navy, air force and the Border Security Force following information gathered during the interrogation of some ISI “agents” — Ziauddin Biswas, his wife Ismatara, brother-in-law Hasan Habib and Ghulam Murtaza. They had been arrested from the Jalangi and Domkol areas of Murshidabad on Sunday. Some more ex-servicemen have been detained by the police at the district intelligence branch office since last night.

Murshidabad police superintendent Virendra said Islam was picked up after police tapped Rinku Ahmed’s telephone and recorded a conversation in which Islam called to say that he was willing to work for the ISI. Police arrested Ahmed from Jalangi yesterday.

“The jawan had been approached by Rinku six months ago, when he returned home on leave, to supply vital information in return of cash. He had refused then. This time, we had Rinku’s line tapped and Islam called on November 16 to say that he had changed his mind. We have this conversation recorded,” the police chief added.

Continuing its drive against servicemen, police also arrested a retired naval staff and a former jawan from Nadia district and from Jalangi in Murshidabad, respectively.

Imdadul Mondol, 45, who had retired from the navy in 1993, was picked up from Gopalpurghat village in Nadia’s Hogolberia police station area last night and brought here. Sahadeb Saha, 61, a jawan in the disbanded Bengal Regiment who retired in 1965, was arrested from Jalangi’s Chuapara village today. Both of them have been remanded in police custody till December 2.

While both of them alleged that they were being framed, the police charged that the duo was involved in getting information for the ISI from inside defence establishments.

“Their ex-servicemen passes allowed them to visit the serving men in cantonments who are on the ISI payroll and get the information and hand it over to ISI agents waiting outside,” Virendra said. They both handed over the information to either Ahmed or Ziauddin, he added.

Email This PagePrint This Page