The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Police & plaza witness match barb for barb

New Delhi, Nov. 9: After the “encounter” at Ansal Plaza, Delhi police are now engaged in a war of words with Hari Krishna, the homeopath who claims he saw policemen shoot dead two unarmed persons.

Krishna today surfaced at his Greater Kailash residence in south Delhi, accusing Delhi police of pressuring him to clam up. At a news conference, he iterated that he was present in the parking lot in the Ansal Plaza basement on Diwali-eve when the two youths were killed.

Delhi police, on the other hand, insisted that Krishna was not present then and denied that he was being intimidated by officers. The joint commissioner of police (special cell) said Krishna had reached Ansal Plaza at 9.32 pm, hours after the “encounter”.

The finding was based on an analysis of the homeopath’s mobile phone records, the officer said. Giving details of the printout of calls made on Sunday evening, he said that at 6.25 pm Krishna was in Greater Kailash, between 7.30 pm and 8.03 pm in Soami Nagar, at 8.30 pm in Panchsheel Park, and at 9.32 pm in Ansal Plaza. Police said they had verified that Krishna was using the mobile phone by crosschecking with people who had spoken to him.

Police said the homeopath had gone to Ansal Plaza in his Toyota Qualis, accompanied by his son. But Krishna said his wife, too, was with them.

A three-member board of forensic doctors has conducted the post-mortem of the two youths — Dawood alias Abu Anas and Ezaz Ahmad. The joint commissioner said they would get the autopsy report in a couple of days. The duo will be buried here, following Islamabad’s refusal to accept the bodies on the ground that they were not Pakistani nationals.

Krishna claimed he was near the basement between 6 pm and 9 pm, when the policemen fired at two “sedate and unarmed” persons, killing them on the spot. He added that his son was driving the silver-grey Toyota Qualis (DL-3C-V0692) and he and his wife were in the car when it approached the L-2 basement of the shopping mall, where the firing had begun.

“Police are intimidating me. They are unnecessarily detaining my patients and spreading false stories about my background,” he alleged.

Delhi police today pasted a notice on the door of the homeopath’s residence, saying he should appear before the special cell’s assistant commissioner, L.N. Rao, today to give his statement as a witness.

But Krishna said he would give his statement only before the National Human Rights Commission or a court. He added that he did not trust the police as they were out to discredit him by hurling charges that he was a “fake doctor”.

Later this evening, the homeopath was provided two armed police guards for his security, as directed by the NHRC.

Email This PagePrint This Page