The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Diaries disclose Pak link

New Delhi, Nov. 4: Three diaries and a mobile phone recovered from the two militants killed in yesterday’s shootout at the Ansal Plaza shopping complex have revealed telephone numbers that are turning out to be crucial in the investigation.

The three diaries, two recovered from one militant and one from the other, have names and numbers scribbled in Urdu. They contain telephone numbers of their contacts in Pakistan and Mumbai, sources said. From these diaries police have ascertained their place of origin.

The two militants have been identified by the police as Dawood Ali Ahmad, alias Abu Anas, from Kasoor district in Pakistani Punjab, and Ezaz Ahmad, alias Deepak, from Gujranwala.

Pakistan has dismissed the charge that the militants were sent by Islamabad. “The baseless and ludicrous allegation reflects the deep anti-Pakistan malaise that afflicts the Hindu fundamentalist leadership in India,” Reuters quoted Pakistan’s foreign ministry as saying.

The police said the duo was in constant touch with Lashkar-e-Toiba launching commander Adam Cheema, whose name has cropped up in earlier cases.

A mobile phone seized from them contains phone numbers in Pakistan. After analysing the printout of the calls made or received on the cellphone, the police found that on certain occasions it was used only to receive messages, a senior officer said.

They would have called their contacts back from public phone booths, which is much safer than using a number that could be tracked down, he added.

Deputy Prime Minister Lal Krishna Advani told reporters after visiting the site that the militants were moved to Delhi from Mumbai and Jammu and Kashmir by those who had planned an attack in the capital during Diwali.

“We have been getting inputs that our neighbouring country does not plan to reduce its support to terrorist activities,” he said.

The police, trying to unravel their contacts, said the two men were in and around Delhi for the past 10 days. With offices remaining shut for Diwali, investigators have not been able to identify the real owner of the white Maruti 800, which the militants had used with a fake Delhi registration number, the capital’s joint commissioner of police (special cell), Neeraj Kumar, said.

The car had another registration number, of Uttar Pradesh, etched on its windscreen, he added.

Security was reinforced following yesterday’s encounter, with paramilitary forces and commandos deployed at strategic places, including major shopping centres and VIP enclaves.

n Picture on Page 7

Email This PagePrint This Page