The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Woman follows lover to death

Unable to bear the shock of her lover’s death three days ago, a 29-year-old woman killed herself on Monday morning at her friend’s place in Prinsep Ghat Street, in the South Port police station area.

Anjana Mandal, a resident of Bishnupur, in South 24-Parganas, hanged herself at a friend’s Hooghly River Bridge Commissioners (HRBC) staff quarters.

During investigations, police recovered a suicide note, reportedly written by Anjana, saying: “Ami Pikur kachhey jachhi. Okey chhara ami banchte parbo na. Amar mrityur janya keu dayi noy (I am going to Piku. I cannot live without him. No one is responsible for my death).”

“Officials are convinced that an acute depression following her lover’s death had led Anjana to kill herself,” said Shibaji Ghosh, deputy commissioner of police (headquarters).

Sources said Anjana’s lover, Piku, had committed suicide on September 13. “Piku and Anjana hailed from Bishnupur and were together for the past three years. They were planning to settle down but Piku’s family was against the marriage from the outset,” said an officer of Bishnupur police station.

Having failed to convince his parents, 28-year-old Piku hanged himself at home. “As soon as she heard the news on Sunday, Anjana left her Kanganberia home. Her family’s efforts to trace her failed,” said Ghosh.

According to preliminary investigations, Anjana came straight to the quarters of Mahadeb Guchait, a HRBC contractor, on Sunday. “Anjana and Mahadeb knew each other from college. She told Mahadeb that she was looking for a job in the city,” said Ghosh.

Initially, Mahadeb did not suspect anything. On Sunday night, he went to his friend’s place leaving Anjana alone at the quarters. “Even while leaving my quarters on Sunday night, I did not notice anything amiss. She seemed fine,” Mahadeb told the sleuths during questioning.

On Monday, when Mahadeb returned home at 8.45 am, he found the front door locked. He knocked repeatedly, but no one opened the door. Sensing trouble, Mahadeb called the neighbours.

“The neighbours then broke open the door to find Anjana hanging from the bedroom ceiling,” said Ghosh.

“She had used a bedsheet to hang herself from the ceiling. Anjana was rushed to SSKM Hospital, where the doctors declared her dead.”

Elaborating on the cause of the suicide, the DC (headquarters) said: “No arrests have so far been made. We have sent the suicide note to handwriting experts to verify its authenticity. So far, there seems to be no foul play.”

Email This PagePrint This Page