Colombo: Players competing at next year’s World Cup will be tested for doping for the first time, the ICC said on Wednesday.
“We will be bringing in a doping policy at the World Cup,” ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed told a news conference.
A list of banned substances has already been sent to each of the 14 participating countries, he said. The move could be the first step in ICC’s plans to draw up a permanent doping policy for the game, he added.
Speed said cricket was regarded as “low risk” by experts compared to disciplines like weightlifting, cycling and athletics. But South African government’s doping regulations made testing mandatory at the February 8-March 23 event, he said.
The ICC had already introduced dope testing at the under-19 World Cup held in New Zealand earlier this year.
The ICC has confirmed it will send a delegation to Zimbabwe in November to see if the country could host next year’s World Cup matches.
The delegation will include Speed, chief executive officers of the countries due to play in Zimbabwe — Namibia, England, India, Australia, Netherlands and Pakistan — and representatives of players.