The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Suicide bid in Metro
- Lax Sunday security at Rabindra Sadan station

Despite tightening of security and announcement of punitive measures on Metro Railway stations to pre-empt suicide, a 31-year-old man, Rajsekhar Pal, jumped in front of a Dum Dum-bound train at Rabindra Sadan station on Sunday evening.

Witnesses said the driver slammed the brakes as he saw Pal jumping off the platform. Fortunately, the man landed in the central ditch between the tracks. The first coach of the train had crossed him before it came to a halt. Pal was stuck in the drain underneath, between the first and the second coach.

Metro Railway police and officers of the Rabindra Sadan Metro station rushed to rescue the man. Metro spokesperson Samir Banerjee said Pal was in the drain for around 10 minutes before he could be rescued and taken to SSKM Hospital.

Bhowanipore police said Pal was admitted to hospital for treatment. “His condition is not very serious,’’ officer-in-charge of Bhowanipore police station, Apurba Som Choudhury, said.

Metro services resumed within minutes of Pal being taken out of the drain. Banerjee said a ticket was found in Pal’s pocket, which indicated that he had travelled from Dum Dum to Rabindra Sadan.

Police said they are waiting for Pal to recover to find out more about him.

Sunday evening’s incident has revealed that Metro Railway has failed to monitor the movement of passengers near the white line, which is about two feet from the edge.

After a spate of suicides a couple of months ago, the authorities had issued the warning that action would be taken against passengers who crossed the white line and that they would be fined Rs 250.

The Metro authorities said security staff would keep a watch on passengers. But on Sunday, witnesses said there was no security staff to monitor whether passengers like Pal were crossing the white line.

At the Rabindra Sadan station, Sunil Basu, a passenger, who saw Pal jump, said he had noticed the man crossing the white line several times to find out if the train was approaching the station. The station manager of Rabindra Sadan station denied comment.

nSoft-drink scare: Six persons fell ill on Sunday evening after they drank bottled soft-drinks of a popular brand at Haltu, in Kasba. A mob attacked and damaged the supply vehicle of the brand, which had come to the shop to off-load bottles.

Officer in charge of Kasba police station, Taj Mohammed, said: “Those who fell ill were taken to a local hospital and discharged after treatment.”

He said the police had collected samples from the shop and sent them for laboratory analysis.

Email This PagePrint This Page